Spokane Teaching Health-Family Medicine Residency-Spokane-North
Job Description: Core Faculty, MD/DO, w/wo, OB
Description: The Core Faculty member will work with the Program Director (PD) and Associate Program Director (APD) in developing the family medicine program, advising and precepting residents, participating/leading ACGME required committees, and role-modeling patient care in clinic and inpatient setting to residents.
Requirements: Board–certified/Board-eligible family medicine physician searching for an academic practice in a progressive setting.
Preferred: Ideal candidates will have skills in full-spectrum family medicine, including a strong background in obstetrics. Skills and training in osteopathic medicine is another area that would be highly beneficial. Candidates with prior teaching or practice experience are preferred, however we encourage applications from individuals with a desire to teach. Opportunity to participate in the WWAMI Family Medicine Residency Network Faculty Development Fellowship.
Overview: This Core Faculty position serves as a key team member to assist the PD and APD in the development of a newly accredited Family Medicine Residency Program.
Prior to inaugural residents arriving in June 2020, the Core Faculty will spend potentially 60% of time in direct patient care, and at least 40% of time on program development. After June 2020, at least 60% of time is dedicated to the program and potentially 40% in direct patient care without residents.
Initial Duties (prior to residents):
· Assist with curriculum by rotation/year, including goals and objective.
· Assist with APD to create resident and faculty evaluation tools with PD and PC.
· Collaborate with APD and PD to create outline for Clinical Competency Committee (CCC) and Program Evaluation Committee (PEC).
· Participate in interview and ranking process for resident candidates.
· See patients and expand patient panel.
· Serves as an advisor to assigned residents, ensuring evaluations and other requirements are completed per resident policy.
· Assist in FMR program development and evolution.
· Precepts residents during patient visits in the FMR clinic.
· Participates regularly in nursing home, home visits, and inpatient visits with residents.
· Attends and participates in FMR meetings.
· Serves as a role model by seeing patients within the FMR.
· Participates in the recruitment, selection, and orientation processes of residents.
· Assist in annual review of required curriculum and elective curriculum, goals and objectives.
· Participates in the planning and making recommendations for the acquisition of optimal educational resources for residency education.
· Participates or leads assigned committees such as, the Clinical Competency Committee (CCC), Program Evaluation Committee (PEC), etc.
We are continually evolving our program to incorporate the latest standards of excellence in primary care to ensure our graduates are ready to begin their careers at the forefront of evidence-based medicine.
Additional Information: Our three-year program is accredited for 24 residents, and will begin teaching the inaugural class of 8 first year residents in 2020. Our residency is unopposed, so learning opportunities abound. We are also connected with 3 medical school programs, University of Washington, Washington State University, and Pacific Northwest Health Science University, where we train third- and fourth-year medical students and other health career focused students. Our goal is to create an interdisciplinary teaching clinic to create a robust learning environment and provide the best the patient care.
Our inpatient facility at Holy Family Hospital is a highly-advanced medical center, licensed at 272 beds, offering a full slate of services across a wide range of primary care and specialist disciplines. Substantial faculty time is protected for teaching and administrative use in the program. Faculty spend two to three half-days seeing patients, with a maximum of 8--10 patients per half-day. Hospital admissions from the faculty practice are admitted to the Residency Inpatient Service. We offer extremely competitive salary and benefits in a very low-cost-of-living area.
If you are a board –certified/board-eligible family medicine physician searching for an academic practice in a progressive, rigorous, patient-centered environment design to put humanity—and a little fun—back into family medicine training, please contact us.
Jeff O’Connor, MD, Program Director